In accordance with guidance provided by British Cycling and agreement between the committee members we wish to clarify the rules around this subject as follows.
BEFORE any club rides where an U18 turns up without a parent present, then we request at least one Adult club member checks the following:
- Ensure there is a SIGNED PARENTAL CONSENT FORM IN PLACE ALREADY for ALL riders under the age of 18 years.
- Ensure a minimum of 1 adult is identified & agreed BY THE PARENTS(s) before each ride and agreed to take responsibility for U18 riders, and has the emergency contact details available for the U18’s next of kin.
- Ensure there are a suitable amount of over 18s present on the ride, there is no set minimum number required, however, it is worth considering what an appropriate number is based on group size and how the number of adults would be affected if an incident occurs (EG. crash, puncture or mechanical).
- Over 18s on the ride should have consideration for U18 riders and all riders should be reminded to adhere to expected standards of behaviour.
- Where possible, communicate the route with parents/carers in advance of the ride, including a guide to finish times and pick up points if required. GPX routes will be published on our club Facebook page prior to all rides for parents to view.
- U18’s should ride in accordance with our club rules & etiquette.
- Wearing of headphones/headsets is NOT permitted at any time during a club group ride.
IF A PARENTAL CONSENT FORM IS NOT ALREADY IN PLACE AND AN NOMINATED RESPONSIBLE ADULT AGREED IN ADVANCE OF A RIDE, THEN THE U18 CANNOT JOIN IN THE GROUP RIDE, AND ANY CLUB MEMBER HAS THE MANDATE TO STATE THIS.